There are 110 Households living in the colony / habitation of Scheduled Caste (named as Thiruvalluvar Nagar) in Karasanur Village. 11 Scheduled Tribes families are living in another street in the village in the Government (Poramboke) land. Individual t
Presently the people are using the open space, agriculture area, water bodies for open defecation which is polluting the land, water and air. It also creates lot of problems among the land owner and the people who go for open defecation.
Palmyra, the facilitating NGO will focus only the SC/ST population for creating the sanitation facility for the need of the backward people in the village. The Village Panchayath will provide the infrastructure such as land, water supply with pipes, electricity for the common sanitation facility.
Palmyra has implemented the Tank Rehabilitation project in the village under ICEF project from the year 2000 to 2005.
We are implementing the sanitation project under PWX for the village (MBC families) from the period of 2013 to 2014 in Karasanur Village.
LocationTindivanam, Villupuram District, India
Primary Focus: Sanitation - Households
Secondary Focus: Sanitation - Community
People Getting Safe Drinking Water: 0
School Children Getting Water: 0
People Getting Sanitation: 250
30 Individual Households – Individual Toilets (SC Families)
20 Families – Common Toilets (SC / ST Families)
Beneficiaries: 100 Children + 150 Adults (including 100 women) = 250 people will get benefit from 50 families in 30 individual toilets with 2 community toilets.
People Getting Other Benefits: 100
The sanitation awareness will generate through the beneficiaries to the neighboring families and it will motivate them to focus on the subject.
Application Type: Project Funding
Start Date: 2013-10-01
Completion Date: 2014-09-30
1. Caste / Community: Contact only SC/ST people - Awareness Generation through women, men and children - To Understand the present sanitation related issues/problems
2. People Participation: Find the possibility of beneficiaries participation in the activity - Village level meeting / Group Discussion - They realize the importance of the toilets in the HH/village
3. Visuals of Toilets: Exposure Visit - Visit the neighboring area who already involved in the activity - Seeing is believing
4. Construction: Mason / Local Engineer - Explain with map, layout, pictures to construct the septic tank with toilet room - It helps to avoid water contamination, land use.
5. Use of Toilets: Invites District Authorities - To interact with people regarding their participation with good quality of construction - Able to receive subsidy from Govt. It also promotes to build toilets by others in the village.
6. Post project Period: Do monitoring and evaluation by working committee with Palmyra NGO.
Based on the Palmyra’s previous experience with the village panchayath / SHGs, we will approach the colony and tribal to implement the activity under the Blue Planet Networks Fund - PWX fund.
The working group will consists of 2 to 3 representation from colony, 1 from Tribes, 1 from Village panchayath and 1 from Palmyra staff.
The working group (WG) will take full charge of the project from identifying the suitable beneficiaries, working with them in their planning, design, construction, operation and management.
The WG will sit with each and every beneficiary along with mason and technical and plan the toilet location, the design, work out the quantities and estimate the cost for construction.
The beneficiaries will organize the building materials by themselves, hire only mason, provide non-skilled labor from the family and construct the toilet room.
Once the toilets construction is completed, the district authorities from the Govt. especially sanitation officer will inaugurate the toilet and handed over it to the beneficiaries. This will develop better relationship between the villagers and government officials to access some other government programs/schemes for the welfare of the poor people.
• Use the sanitation officer for creating knowledge on water and sanitation.
• Use them as a representative in the selection of beneficiaries.
• Getting subsidy for toilet program from the block development office through sanitation officer.
• Invite special officials to have a look of sanitation facility created with community participation to ensure the good quality of toilets in the rural area especially SC/ST habitation.
• It helps the people to approach the line department such as THADCO / DIC to get some other programs such as micro enterprise, housing, etc. to improve their livelihood.
It helps local Mason to get employment.
The issue is starting the activity is little difficult with the poorest of the poor people such as SC?ST people in the area.
However more number of awareness, meetings, exposure visit will motivate them to involve in the sanitation activity.
The individual toilets will be maintained by the individual family members. Whereas the community toilet (Pilot activity) should collect minimum amount as a revenue from the users to maintain the toilet with the support of village panchayath / working group. Post project period is especially necessary to do the follow up in the common toilet. Maintenance cost is mentioned only for the community toilet
Maintenance Cost: $1,500
Please see attached excel file "Metrix"
Please see attached Budget
Co Funding Amount: $0
Palmyra and Working Group will approach the Sanitation Officer in Block Development Office to claim the subsidy cost for individual household toilet for the beneficiaries. This amount will be received after the construction of the toilet only. Once the money comes, it will be received by the individual beneficiary family.
Community Contribution Amount: $5,850
Every individual family has to put 30% contribution as cash for purchase of materials for toilet construction. If an individual household family members who are able to work as a helper with Mason, they get reduction in construction labor cost. (4950 $)
For common toilet, 15% contribution will be collected from the Tribes.
Fund Requested: $26,831
Implementing Organization: Palmyra, Centre for Ecological Land Use, Water Management and Rural Development, Auroville.
Palmyra NGO, Aurobrindavan, Auroville is a member of PWX