Sundarwadi is a small hamlet located in the drought prone Paithan block of district Aurangabad.
1. Sundarwadi is a small hamlet located in the drought prone Paithan block of district Aurangabad. The village is at a distant of 50 km from Aurangabad (divisional headquarters) and 25 km from the block head quarters. It is situated in the interior and though approachable by partially tarred road, it has nevertheless been largely neglected by governmental and other developmental agencies. The prime occupation of the community is farming which is rainfed and traditional.
2. Sunderwadi is a tribal community. Poverty, access to information, sanitation, awareness about development and illiteracy are its key problems. To overcome this situation, the villagers decided to implement watershed development program in their village and approached WOTR for the implementation of the same in 2005.
3. Since the last two years, the WOTR Wasundhara project is being implemented in the village, in collaboration with the Gram Panchayats. The soil and water conservation measures, self help groups, drinking water scheme (deepening of old well, pipeline, water tank, stand post etc.) and other activities have been initiated.
4. The school sanitation project will be implemented for the primary school of village Sundarwadi. The primary school is up to 4th standard and has two classrooms only. Presently there are 27 students (boys 15, girls 12). Awareness regarding sanitation is practically non-existent.
5. The objective of the project is to create awareness among the community through school children and it is expected that the total village could come under eco-sanitation in due course.
There is also a felt need to construct 2 additional classrooms as the present 2 have to accommodate students across 4 grades/ classes.
6. The proposed activities for the school are: construction of a new water tank, sanitation unit, one vermi-compost pit, plantation of 400 saplings, 2 classrooms and water management and sanitation education to school children and parents. The implementation of this activity will help to change the school environment and in turn will help to increase school attendance as well as eventually secure total sanitation in the entire village.
LocationMaharashtra, , India
Primary Focus: Drinking Water - Schools
Secondary Focus: Sanitation - Community
People Getting Safe Drinking Water: 319
School Children Getting Water: 27
Presently none. (after completion of the sanitation project, 27 school children will get safe drinking water)
People Getting Sanitation: 6
The women members of the Self-Help Group (SHG) have been motivated for the use of toliets. Presently six members of the SHGs have constucted individuals toliets with their own cost.
People Getting Other Benefits:
Application Type: Project Funding
Start Date: 2008-01-01
Completion Date: 2008-03-31
1. A new water tank having capacity of 2,500 litres will be constructed for the school.
2. Sanitation unit – 2 toilets with urinals (1 for boys and 1 for girls) will be constructed.
3. Two (2) Classrooms
The project will be done in one phase.
1. As a watershed development project is in progress since the past 2 years, social mobilization, women self help groups and local village level institutions have been established and are being strengthened. The entire village is contributing at least 20% of the total cost of this project.
2. In regard to this school project, a school sanitation committee will be formed with representatives from the village (men, women and teachers). With the support from the villagers and children, this committee will be responsible for implementation, supervision and maintenance of the project.
3. In addition to what the people are already contributing (see 1 above), they have agreed to contribute at least 15% of the total costs of the school water and sanitation project.
• A vermi-compost unit with shade in the school campus will be constructed.
• Tree plantation along the boundary of the school premises (approx. 400 saplings).
• Water management and sanitation education for the school children and their parents (2 trainings)
Prior art before metrics
USD 7,650 (Rs. 306,000)
See attached excel file
Co Funding Amount:
Community Contribution Amount: $956
USD 956 (Rs. 38,250)
Fund Requested: $6,694
Implementing Organization: Implementation unit of WOTR-Sanjeevani.
This project will be implemented by Sanjeevani, a sister concern of WOTR. Sanjeevani focuses on the implementation of development projects in rural and urban areas in Maharashtra and other states of India, with a preference for the tribal and marginalized communities living in degraded environments.
The four main thematic areas addressed are (a) community and institutional development (b) poverty reduction (c) natural resource management and (d) livelihood development.
Sanjeevani has its cluster offices at 9 locations in western and north Maharashtra, in Marathwada and Vidarbha. It is headquartered at Aurangabad.
Sanjeevani has qualified and experienced technical and social personnel nearly all of whom have come form WOTR.